Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Pedometer is Cuter Than Your Pedometer

So there are those people out there who are skinny thin and they swear that walking is their only form of exercise. There is a school of thought out there that every step counts and that we should be walking towards a daily goal and walking away the pounds. I get that it is better to take the stairs over an elevator or park a little farther away from the front door of a store and walk, but could walking alone be the miracle key to weight loss??

I decided to give the “every step counts” theory a try and the only piece of equipment I needed for this was a pedometer. These things are everywhere. For two box tops from Special K and $5.95 shipping and handling you too can get one. Even for a while McDonald’s was giving them away. I wonder if they also gave you a little chart noting that you had to walk like a million steps to burn of that Big Mac and fries. Anyways, where was I?? Oh my pedometer purchase…

I headed off to my local REI to check out different makes and models and was hoping to find something of a better quality than the free box top kind. Who knew there were so many types available?? They ranged in price from the basic model (about $8) to one with all of this software that tracks various days a time and has a USB cable so you can plus it into your computer and graph various things such as calories burned or steps taken (math geeks are rejoicing now). The middle range models had various bells and whistles from an emergency cord that has a loud alarm if you are out walking and are attacked to one that talks to you and tells you at various times how far you have gone, how many calories you have burned. I can see it now “Hey, fat ass, walk faster. If you were going any slower pigeons would land on you.” Needless to say I choose not to get the talking kind.

The pedometer that I made it home with is a cute little thing. The Freestyle Micro Pedometer that is a little over an inch big for $11.95. It calculates steps, distance and calories burned. It also has a stop watch. And that is all. Except it is soooo tiny and cute. The small size does have an advantage. I can wear it anywhere without feeling like I am wearing an old-school beeper on my pants and having them fall down. I just clip it and go and forget that I am actually getting a workout while I run my errands. The downside, it’s soooo tiny that it could fall off during the day and I would never know prompting another $11.95 purchase. But for now I’ll take that risk.

So now I am trying the “every step counts” theory out in everyday life. But I did draw the line at wearing it around the house as I get ready in the morning. I may be missing hundreds of steps as I wander the house before work, but I refuse to clip the thing to my underwear…




Stay tuned to find out if I am “Bootcamp Tough”

Cost:
Pedometer $11.95
Total $11.95

No comments: